We all maybe stuck home, but hopefully you all have some type of tree that blooms in the spring. I am still awaiting my gorgeous Tulip tree to bloom even though it makes such a mess. I found a few blooms yet, but I think the late freeze and constant storms have caused it not to live up to its glory this year. But I had 4 other trees (apple and unknown) share their beauty. Spring is one of my favorite seasons and the birds singing and new babies warm my heart. I got my calf fix in via Facebook from my friend Sarah. She had a Maybelline number two born this spring (white with black eyeliner) and if she grows up anything like Maybelline, she will be another beauty.
Meet Magnolia…since Sarah did not name her yet.
Did you know?
Did you know traditionally cattle producers only bred their cows to calf in the spring? But with better management practices and milder climates, producers in the south can now have calves born in the fall and spring, thus I will hopefully be able to get my fix again this fall. Also, a cow carries her calf for 305 days and then is usually rebred 30-90 days after giving birth. A baby girl calf is called a heifer (a female that has not had a baby) and male calf is a bull calf (daddy). A lot of boy calves are castrated before they are weaned and then are called steers. Most steers are raised for those yummy steaks we eat.
But back to my Magnolia Blooms…which is carrying over into the new catalog. I designed my April class to go with the Magnolia Bundle and Bulk DSP. I will give directions to the two cards I made in my Facebook Live class, but if you would like the full PDF for all the cards please email me and it is only $5. I am still learning how to make videos, post to different outlets and then create my online store so please bear with me.
- Card Base: A2 White; side fold.
- Mat: Magnolia bloom DSP: 5.25” x 4”. Adhere to card base.
- Mat: White: 5”x3.75”.
- Brush down white mat with embossing body.
- Stamp with Versamark ink the large magnolia flower. Make sure to line up just right to fit onto the mat. I used a Misti or Stampartus to do this.
- Emboss in Gold Embossing Powder.
- Use circle die or punch (mine was 2.75”) to cut out the majority of the flower part. The size of die or punch is up to you as it’s how much of the flower you want to highlight.
- Color only the die cut image out with Stampin Blends (I used Flirty Flamingo and Mossy Meadow sets).
- Emboss white mat (not image) with Subtle folder if desired.
- Adhere white mat to DSP (card front).
- Use dimensionsals or foam tape to pop up circle. Be careful to line-up to match mat.
- Stamp sentiment on provided die-cut oval and adhere with dimensionsals.
- Embellish as desired.
Casey’s Take on the Spotlight Technique
Within the class every card has a circle within the design to bring forward the focal point. But in this design I made a one-sheet wonder card and used the “Swirly Frames” to make gold highlighted spotlights in my design.
Circle Easel Card:
- Card Base: Start with A2 Side Fold in White. Use a 4.25” circle and offset on fold to leave a little bit for the fold (watch Facebook video if you do not know how to align die). Score top fold in half for the easel component.
- Early Espresso Mats: 4.25” and 4” circle.
- White Mat: 3.75” circle; cut in half and adhere to inside brown mat at top to write or stamp sentiment.
- One Sheet Wonder Mat: 4”. Adhere to 4.25” brown circle. Adhere to only bottom half of top of card base (if you put adhesive all over it will not be an easel card). Note: watch my video for how I designed my sheet and made a spotlight with gold embossing powder.
- Die cut floral image out of dies in magnolia suite…bottom layer in petal pink, top layer and leaves in gold foil. Assemble and pop up with dimensional on inside of card. (It must have a dimensional or height to the image to help the easel layer stand up).
- Die cut out sentiment frame (wild rose bundle) in petal pink and stamp with petal pink for a tone on tone look with large magnolia flower.
- Die cut mom or other word in small letters in gold foil. Adhere to sentiment frame; attach sentiment frame with dimensionsals to card front.
- Tie bow in petal pink ribbon and adhere with glue dot on top of card front.
- Embellish as desired.
My May class kit with be using the Sail Away Suite. The classes are a mix between designs and product shares. As long as I can still order the baker’s twine, trinkets and DSP I am taking orders for the kit now until May 10th. But you will get 3 each of Balmy Blue, Night of Navy and Soft Suede Cardstock, a half sheet of each of the DSP, 5 yards of twine, and 4 trinkets. You will receive directions for a minimum of 6 cards as well. My kits are $20 plus shipping. I also normally die-cut a lot of elements for you if you don’t have a big shot or the dies (especially if they are not part of the bundle). If you are interested please email me and if you want to order the bundle before the 10% discount goes away please visit my shopping site and the item number is 151066. Please use the May hostess code (QBDJ7QBW) to help us earn May Door Prizes from the new catalog!